Monday, August 2, 2010

Samantha Jones says no.

Sunday I woke up to 3 missed calls and one new text message all from my sister.(well were not really related, but were so close were family now.) I'm supposed to be over at her apartment helping with a photo shoot for her senior collection. Shit, shit, shit. I get up, call her and apologize for being a million years late and rush to get a shower and get ready as fast as possible. I basically hop in the shower and jump out into my car. that fast. The hair dryer I had somehow got lost with the 38968437 times I've moved so now I can't blow dry my hair.........conventionally at least. I have developed a new system to blow dry my hair and toss it around to give it a little volume. What I do is immediately after I take a shower I hop into my car and roll down my driver side and passenger side windows, then I take 75, barrett, piedmont, sandy plains,bells ferry, or 92 and let the wind do it for me!!!! It's surprisingly effective. I may never buy a blow dryer ever again. I'm calling it Car drying.

My trusty GPS Tim Tim (He's actually a Tom Tom but he's set to the british accent, and the name of the voice is Tim so hence the name Tim Tim)decided that he didn't want to turn on yesterday before I wanted to go to Atlanta. So I had to navigate the city by myself. I was really proud of myself because I learned that I no longer need a GPS to get myself to places in Atlanta!!!! I feel like such a grown up!!!!

I finally get to my sister's apartment after car drying my hair and self navigating and I pretty much feel like I've jumped into a re run of Sex In The City.You have to understand my sister and her apartment to know why I felt this way. My sister is a Fashion design major at SCAD Atlanta so all of her clothes are perfect and she knows all the newest trends. I am not that way at all. My sister is also very artistic and creative. I'm creative, but I cant draw to save my life. My sister also has a beautiful apartment with her fiancée and my nephew. Her apartment building was built some time in the 20's and has these nice high ceilings, hardwood floors, original sinks and tile, oh and not to mention they're right in the heart of midtown with everything in walking distance. The buildings still have the old time white radiators and everytime I walk in I feel like I'm walking up to Holly Golightly's apartment in Breakfast At Tiffany's. I'm so jealous. My sister is doing a photo shoot with our friend Mrs. Crawford and one of Mrs. Crawford's friends. During this photo shoot my sister has cocktails out and sushi. I'm Samantha Jones and my sister is Charlotte York. We have some cocktails, take pictures of Mrs. Crawford and her friend in these nice vintage outfits, then go up and eat sushi, and laugh about our relationships...or lack there of. Then they left and we finished up the shoot and another one of my sister's colleagues came over and we looked at patterns and fabric swatches. Honestly, tell me this isn't an episode of Sex In The City.

The best part of my day by far was getting to play with my little nephew Gus. I love that little boy so much. I think he knows my face now!!! When he woke up from his nap I was in the kitchen, so when I walked out of the kitchen he saw me and smiled, it made me so happy. So without any doubt my sister handed him to me and I didn't give him back until he had to go to bed. The best part about being an aunt by far is that you get all the perks of having a baby without actually having a baby. If it cries, poops, screams, pitches some sort of fit, gets hungry, gets sleepy, all you have to do is yell "Hey Sis, the baby needs you!!!!!" and it is no longer your problem!!!! Also you get to go home and don't have to deal with the whole getting up at all hours of the night. Biggest plus of all, no pregnancy required!!! You just watch your sister get more and more pregnant, so no stretch marks, braxton hicks, getting kicked, having to re evaluate your wardrobe, nope none of that!!! You just get to do the fun stuff like go baby shopping and drive your friends crazy by buying toys for an infant that can't even play with them yet, and buying cute little clothes, and coming over and playing with the baby. If my friends continue to have children at the rate they currently are, then I may have no reason to ever procreate unless I just want one.

After I left my sister's apartment I headed back to Marietta and I got a text message from one of my high school ex boyfriends telling me he got a new apartment and that I should come over and see it. I felt really bad because the past few days he had been inviting me over but with all the other stuff I've been doing I just hadn't had time to go over. So I head over to the ex's new place and it was surprisingly nice. Wen he told me the name of the complex he was living in, it threw up major red flags. The complex where he lives doesn't exactly have the best reputation and is really poorly lit so it's a little scary walking outside at night, not gonna lie. As I'm looking around the apartment he decides to take me on the official tour. He shows me all the general stuff like living room, kitchen, his bedroom/office, and the bathroom. As he's showing me some stuff in the bathroom he says, "This stuff is my roommates." and As were walking out I ask him, "Oh Who is your roommate?" He stops in his tracks and gets a confused look on his face and says, "Didn't I tell you?" Then I say, "Didn't you tell me what?" He mentions that it's a mutual friend and then he says, "Yeah were technically married." Wait........What the hell???? Married, like really married? What.the.fuck. He then goes on to explain to me our friends situation and story and come to find out they're married so she can become a legal American citizen.They have their picture they took at the courthouse, He has a ring to wear if immigration shows up, and all of her mail had her married last name on it. The reason his bedroom is an "office" is so if Immigration comes to visit it looks like they have a normal apartment. He has a twin bed in his "office" that he sleeps on, and she has a full size bed in her room that is "their room" when immigration comes but really she sleeps in it all the time, and so does her boyfriend when he comes over. Also a fun fact about my ex boyfriend, he is a candidate for a political office in Georgia right now. He wants to work in government while he's in a technically fraudulent marriage.

Once I got over the whole shock of the bombshell he dropped on me we decided to watch a movie. As the movie starts he tries to put his arm around me. I lean forward so he can't. Then he says to me "Hey come here." I respond, "Um, Why?" Then he looks at me and says, "Don't you want to cuddle?" I just look back and say, "No, Not really." I'm sitting there texting my best friend who is at the babysitting job and all the sudden I see my ex's name pop up where he had sent me a text message (Mind you, he's sitting right next to me.) Our conversation goes word for word like this:

Ex: Hey, Sorry if this is forward, but I still think you are cute.

Me: Thanks.

Ex: That's it?

Me: Pretty much.

I felt so bad. He's not a bad guy it's just been there done that. Not to mention A)I seldom EVER date exes. There's usually a reason why it didn't work. B) I'm not really looking for a relationship. and C)I am moving in a matter of days. But the movie was really good. Once it ended I said goodnight and came straight home. I was overwhelmed but glad to be home.

No final thought, I don't want to think anymore.

That was my day.

Becky Marietta

No comments:

Post a Comment